Big News! We Are Launching Our Own Transition Centre in 2016
We are very excited to announce that we are launching a residential empowerment centre for young women leaving the shelters we work in! Thanks to the generous support of the Colombo Round Table 1, as well as our Board member Swasha Malalasekera, we aim to open the doors to our centre in June of 2016.
The centre will provide safe housing and daily workshops for young women as they move from living full-time in a shelter to engaging with the community. Participants will follow a bespoke curriculum of activities designed to strengthen their employability and uplift their quality of life.
Activities that will be piloted in the first phase include:
- ICT Training
- English Language Training
- Specialized Trainings and Internship Placements
- Arrangements for Higher Education or Professional Education Programmes
- CV Development and Interview training
- Personal Development and Professional Grooming
- Guest Speakers and Workshops by Visiting Professionals
- Counseling Services
- Visiting Counselors, Doctors, and Lawyers Offering Pro Bono Legal Counsel
- Child Protection Training
- Workshops for Guardians on Effective Reintegration Support
- Yoga & Meditation
- Monthly Alumna Fellowship Programme, including visits from transition centre graduates
- Self-defense classes
- Community Development and Leadership Classes
We will engage potential employers through a variety of methods ranging from formal interview practice to volunteer placements and internships. This engagement will give the young women vital workplace experience and build their confidence, and also expose employers to the talent and determination the girls of Emerge have to offer.
Here is a sneak peek of the house that is being loaned to us to launch the Centre: